NC Governor Roy Cooper Issues Executive Order: List of Public Places to be Closed to Prevent the Spread of Coronavirus Expanded
On Monday, March 23, North Carolina Governor Roy Cooper expanded the list of public places he was ordering closed to prevent the spread of Coronavirus, lowering the limit for the number of people at public gatherings to 50 and extended the closing of public schools through May 15.
The details within Executive Order 120 include:
1. The prohibition of mass gatherings is now moved from 100 to now be no more than 50 persons.
2. The following entertainment facilities are ordered to close at 5 PM on Wednesday, March 25, 2020, though any retail or dining component may operate within that establishment solely for that purpose.
- Bingo Parlors
- Bowling Alleys
- Ice Skating Rinks
- Indoor Exercise Facilities (e.g. gyms, yoga studios, and martial arts facilities)
- Health Clubs
- Indoor Pools
- Live Performance Venues
- Movie Theaters
- Roller skating Rinks
- Sweepstakes Lounges
- Video game arcades
3. Personal care and grooming businesses, including but not limited to the following, are also ordered to close:
- Barber Shops
- Beauty Salons
- Hair Salons
- Manicure/Pedicure Providers
- Massage Parlors
- Nail Salons
- Tattoo Parlors
4. Appropriate local governmental agencies are directed to continue to exercise their responsibilities, including but not limited to local county Department of Social Services (“DSS”) offices, Registers of Deeds, and other local government functions that are required to protect people.
5. Long term care facilities shall restrict visitation of all visitors and non-essential health care personnel, except for certain compassionate care situations, for example, an end-of-life situation. For purposes of this Executive Order only, long term care facilities include all of the following:
- Skilled nursing facilities;
- Adult care homes;
- Family care homes;
- Mental health group homes; and
- Intermediate care facilities for individuals with intellectual disabilities
6. Public school closures are extended until at least May 15, 2020.
7. The order will be effective at 5 PM, Wednesday, March 25, 2020.
NC Executive Orders can be found here:
NCDHHS Previous Order of Hazard Abatement can be found here: