Inspections & Permitting
Changes in Operations In Response COVID-19
Modified Inspection Procedures
Our Davie County Inspections Department is open for business. While there may be changes in how some of our services are performed, our goal is to maintain effective service levels and continue to offer you assistance in completing your important work. Davie County is modifying its operations until further notice to protect residents and County staff while minimizing the spread of COVID-19 in our community.
The Development Services Department requests that permit holders maintain a clean and safe environment for County staff so we may continue to provide inspection services. Please follow CDC guidelines (COVID-19) for maintaining social distancing, frequently cleaning and disinfecting surfaces and requiring sick personnel to stay home. Job sites should be clear of workers if social distancing cannot be maintained. All pertinent documents needed for completing inspections are expected to be on-site and in the area of the job where needed.
Field inspections will continue, with modifications made to accommodate social distancing on the job site. An inspector can refuse to perform inspections if they determine the safe environment of the jobsite has been compromised.
- Commercial or Residential inspections that cannot occur due to illness or concern on the part of the homeowner, contractor or inspector will be rescheduled (and documented in the inspection results).
- Inspections at facilities with populations vulnerable to COVID-19 will be modified on a case by case basis for the protection of all involved.
- No meetings will occur in a job trailer or similar confined space. Contractor conferences and outdoor meetings may be held based on capacity and following CDC guidelines.
- Non-essential inspections may be delayed based on capacity (i.e. changeouts, ABC, etc.).
- Occupied single-family residential inspections will not be postponed, but occupants should be prepared to answer specific questions about health, travel and exposure before our inspection is performed; social distancing will be expected as an element of our presence on-site. Questions to be answered before entering an occupied home:
- Do you or anyone at the project site have any of the following symptoms-fever, cough or difficulty breathing?
- Have you or others at the project site had close contact with someone with COVID-19?
- Have you or others you’ve been in contact with traveled outside the country in the last 14 days?
If the answer to any of the above questions is “yes” the inspection will be postponed until further notice.
If you need to call in an inspection or cancel one please call the office at 336-753-6050.
The Building Inspections section of the Development Services Department performs:
- Residential and commercial building plan review
- Flood prevention administration
- Inspections services related to building, electrical, plumbing, mechanical trades, as well as manufactured home and modular home setup
Building permitting and inspections are provided throughout the county as well as the three municipalities within Davie County, Bermuda Run, Cooleemee, and Mocksville.
Permit Activity Reports
- You may request an inspection to be placed on the schedule using the following link. Please note: inspections may only be scheduled by persons approved by each contractor. Any submitted requested by an unauthorized person will be denied and not placed on the inspection schedule.
- Licensed contractors set up in our permitting system may request permits using this form. You will be mailed an invoice once the permit is processed.
Homeowner Recovery Fee & Fund
The North Carolina Licensing Board for General Contractors requires per NC General Statute 87-15 for the permitting office to collect a $10 fee for all permits for single family dwellings.
Inspection Dispute Process
Any disagreement with a decision made by a Code Enforcement Official on an inspection or permit application may be brought before the Department for review. Please review the process & submit the Inspection Dispute Form.