Planning & Zoning
Comprehensive Plan Update CompleteDavie County has completed the process of updating the Comprehensive Plan. This document will help the County address growth through the year 2040. You can review the final document here.
The plan's creation is outlined in greater detail here.
The Planning & Zoning Division of the Development & Facilities Services Department provides professional assistance related to land development activities within the county's planning jurisdiction including:
- Guidance related to the county's adopted Land Development Plan
- Planning services contracted between the Town of Mocksville, the Town of Bermuda Run and Davie County
- Rezoning of land from one zoning district to another
- State water supply watershed regulations
- Subdivision land development
- Transportation planning in association with the Rural Planning Organization (RPO) and the Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO)
- Wireless telecommunications facilities
- Assigns street addresses to new construction
- Investigates complaints regarding zoning violations
- Performs site plan review for zoning permits
- Performs zoning enforcement for Davie County
- Performs zoning inspections
Zoning also performs many other tasks related to administering and enforcing the county's zoning and watershed ordinances.Zoning staff work with the county's Zoning Board of Adjustment to hear requests for special use permits, variances, and appeals from decisions of the zoning officer.
Planning & Zoning Processes
|Rezoning/Zoning Map Amendment||This is required anytime a property owner wants to use their property in a manner that is not consistent with their current zoning designation.||Zoning Amendment Application Process|
|Special Use Permit||This is required when an applicant wants to use a property for a use that is generally consistent with the zoning district, but because of special circumstances requires an additional review by the Board of Adjustment. A Special Use Permit is required anytime an “S” appears in the Table of Uses 155.125 of the Zoning Ordinance.||Special Use Permit Application|
|Variance||The variance process is a method of enabling property owners to make use of their property in a way that conflicts with the literal interpretation of the Zoning or other land use Ordinance. The Variance grants relief from the Ordinance. Use variances are not permitted under NC state law.||Application Package for a Variance|
|Appeal of a Zoning Officer's Decision||The Board of Adjustment shall hear and decide appeals from decisions of the zoning enforcement officer charged with the interpretation and enforcement of the Zoning Ordinance or any other ordinance that regulates land use or development.||There is no application form as the appeal is submitted in writing to the county clerk.|
|Building Permit||This is required for the construction, reconstruction, alteration, repair, relocation, removal or demolition of any building or structure; the installation or extension or general repair for any plumbing system, electrical wiring, devices or equipment. Building permits are also required when a change of use or occupancy occurs within a building or site.||Applications, Forms & Information|