Genealogy & Local History
Davie County History
The library’s Martin-Wall Local History Room contains a treasure trove of resources on Davie County history and families. Browse the print collection including general genealogy books, Davie County census records, cemetery records, and marriages, as well as specific family histories. View microfilm records of Davie County newspapers dating back to the early 1900s; search digitized newspaper files on CD in the history room. Our files include:
- Biography files for copies of articles and obituaries of Davie residents.
- Digital Davie: a photographic history of the county and its people under the auspices of the North Carolina Digital Heritage Center. Best viewed with browser other than Internet Explorer.
- Local history files
- History of Davie County presentation
- from Davie County; online and searchable
- North Carolina high school yearbooks, including Davie County
- Obituary files from Davie County; online and searchable.
- Special Collections
- Videos on Davie County history are available online at the Davie County You Tube Channel
Patrons have access to online genealogy databases that allow access to census records, immigration records, Social Security Death Index, and much more:
- HeritageQuest may be used inside the library or from a remote location
- Ancestry may be used while inside the library
- African American Heritage is available both locally and remotely
- Fold3 to explore historical military records, from the Revolutionary War to Desert Storm; may be used within the library or from a remote location.
Allen Dew has compiled a comprehensive listing of Davie County cemeteries with their GPS coordinates and listing of interments based on the cemetery books published by the Davie County Historical & Genealogical Society. See his site, Cemetery Census, for this information.
Several books are available for purchase:
History of Davie County in the forks of the Yadkin by James W. Wall for $25.00 + $3.00 shipping.
Historic architecture of Davie County, North Carolina by Kirk Franklin Mohney for $25.00 + $3.00 shipping.
Davie County Heritage book for $40 plus $5.00 shipping.
Books on Davie County marriages, cemeteries, and census records, published by the Davie County Historical and Genealogical Society, are available for sale; see their site for prices.
The Davie County Cemeteries book indices for Volume I and Volume II are online; you may search them.
Several maps are available for purchase:
Hughes Historical Documentation Map (pre-1800)
Lagle Land Grant Map (late 1700s)
1887 Alderman map
1928 Merrell map.
Additional genealogy and local history information and links may be found on this page prepared by DCPL, including information on Davie County, North Carolina and the United States.